Ger Tzadik (Sorta)

Friday, February 03, 2006

Why Convert Orthodox? Part II

Part I

So here I am, cruising through life. I am comfortable, secure in myself, but am having the darnedest time meeting anyone who I can relate to on a serious level who isn’t cracked in some way at the same time. By this point in my life, I had given up on “trying” since that never got me anywhere. The circumstances I met my girlfriend under were almost the opposite of what you might consider a normal way to meet people. This might make sense when you consider that she, as an observant Jew, probably wasn’t on the lookout for a goy like me at the time either.

We start talking about topics other than religion and have an instant connection. The conversation ranges all over the list of the world’s topics, up to and including important things like family, ethics, morality, spirituality, life goals. It’s at this point I start finding out what it really means to be an observant Jew…and I find that I have never really known what it meant.

My problem of course, is that I had never really met someone who managed to both be a part of this world, full of knowledge, and yet at the same time full of Torah. My previous experiences around Orthodox Jews mostly had to do with insular groups who always gave off the impression that they mistrusted you and felt they were better than you. Needless to say, this is not the way to impress anyone outside your own world.

Now I had my first peek at what Torah really meant, and it was very interesting. At the same time, I knew that this wasn’t who I was, so for quite some time it was just an interesting footnote in my mind. I was glad to find someone who could speak with me on the same level about moral and spiritual matters, (something my friends tend to lack the vocabulary for) but I wasn’t about to go rush off and convert. That’s crazy talk!

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|