Ger Tzadik (Sorta)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Where Are All the Gerim?

I’ve looked around the web, and found only a few other gerim out in the Jblog world, and even then only recently. (Thanks JewishBlogging.com) It’s got me wondering why there are so few writing about their experiences.

One of the most profoundly earth shaking set of writings I read in my initial studies were the essays recorded in Maurice Lamm’s Becoming a Jew. After some basic learning I knew some basic ritual and philosophy, but not really what it meant to pursue a path of conversion. Here were people talking about previous life experiences that were so similar to my own that I had to go back and read it again just to be sure I wasn’t putting my own words into their mouths! (Fingers? Eh.)

So I sort of expected to find other people relating their experiences out on the web where you don’t need a publisher to express your thoughts. I was hoping there would be a forum for thoughts and questions about Orthodox conversion. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed at the lack of representation. (Note that this was more than a year ago, before SushiKiddush started his excellent blog. I admit that I stopped looking after awhile and only found his recently.)

I actually created this username and blogspace around that time, with the idea that I would start recording my experiences here. You’ll note from my archive; that plan didn’t really go into effect. Once I started reading real Torah blogs, I realized how little I knew and was afraid of sticking my foot into my mouth. I don’t regret that decision, because that may very well have happened. I won’t say I’ve learned so much in just a year, but I do know enough now to stay away from topics I know little of, and can say the right things when needed.

The time has come now for me to really start putting this out there. If nothing else, I’d like to keep the focus of the blog on conversion specifically, so that I keep my eye on the goal, and others can find someone to talk to if needed. I can be online rebbe for gerim. The Gerer Rebbe you could say. (What’s that? Already been done? Drat.)

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

|